- How to Get a FOID card or Concealed Carry License
How to Get a FOID card or Concealed Carry License
- What does CCW or CCL stand for?
A.CCWstands for Concealed Carry Weapon. CCL stands for Concealed Carry License. They are often used interchangeably.
- Am I eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry permit?
- The answer is yes as long as:
- I am at least 21 years old.
- I have a valid FOID card. (you can apply for a F.O.I.D card at the same time as your CCW permit)
- I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, or intoxicating compounds within the last 5 years.
- I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
- I have not been in residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
- What is a F.O.I.D. card?
A.FOID is an acronym for Firearm Owners Identification. To legally possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, residents of the state of Illinois are required to have a FOID card. You can register for one here: www.ispfsb.com
- How many hours of training do I need?
A. Most people are required to take 16 hours of training, however former military, and former law enforcement persons are only required to take 8 hours. Some other forms of prior firearm training may also be recognized by the state, which could result in you only needing 8 hours of training. You must provide proof of these things in order to waive the first 8 hours. Most people find the 16 hour training extremely useful, including former military and law enforcement. We encourage people to take the full 16 hours as the training will prove invaluable.
- How long does it take to get a Concealed Carry permit?
A.Once you complete the class, andIf you submit your fingerprints with your application, the state of IL has 90 days to issue the permit. If you do not submit fingerprints the state has 120 days to issue the permit. The state has generally been able to issue the permit to those who provide fingerprints in 40 – 50 days. Submitting fingerprints does speed up the permit process.
- Are fingerprints mandatory?
A. No, fingerprints are not mandatory to obtain an Illinois permit, however, if you submit prints you will receive your permit faster since it speeds up the background check.
- How do I apply for the Illinois CCW permit?
A. Once you’ve completed your training, you can then apply for your permit. The State of Illinois prefers that the application be submitted on-line, through their website www.ispfsb.com. This may be completed (by the student) immediately following the receipt of your class certificate.
- How long is an Illinois permit valid?
A. Illinois permits are good for 5 years from the date of issuance.
- How much does the actual permit cost?
A.Cost of the permit is $150 (+$3.53 service charge) paid directly to the state of Illinois at the time you file the application, payable by either credit card or electronic check.